Monday, December 1, 2008

A tale of 2 x 5k's

It was a bit windy out,when I ran later this afternoon. My best guess was a sustained wind around 20mph. It was rather warm, with temps in the mid 40's.
I ran at Mercer County Park, and that meant that the wind was all over the place. Sometimes it was in your face, other times a cross wind, and even at your back.
I am going to run my first 5k race since July, so I wanted to run a 5k, and see how the legs felt. Not running every other day is weird right now. I ran relaxed on the Thursday's Turkey trail run, so I wanted to push it for the 1st of my 2 5k's.
When I started out on the 1st 5k, it took about a 1/4 mile, to get the legs and my wind going, but from there on, I felt good. I wanted to try and run this at a race pace, to see how I would feel, after months of longer slower paced runs.
I clicked off the 1st mile at 8:04, and was on my way. Most of this mile, I had the wind in my face, and a bit of a windy uphill.
The 2nd & 3rd miles, the wind was mostly a cross breeze. I was having fun, knowing it was a short run. The 2nd mile I ran it in 7:36, and again, not really hurting. The legs seemed to have rebounded nicely from the marathon.
The last mile was my fastest.. that's always a good thing, and I clocked in at 7:10. That got me thinking. My fastest mile time, was way back in high school. I was a sophomore, and did a mile in 5:04. Now I know there is no way I could hit that mark today, but if I could run a 7:10, maybe a low 6:00min mile is in me. I might have to pick a nice day, and hit the track, to see what I could do.
The last .11 I did in 48secs, for a 3.11 mile run of 23:40 (7:36min/mile avg.) Not too bad. My PR for a 5k was 23:22, which I did this past July, so maybe I can top that mark Saturday.

I took it easy on the 2nd 5k. I ran it nice and comfortably back in 26:17 (8:25 min/mile).
I thought for a second about busting out one of the miles, but thought better of the idea, and just ran relaxed.
Here are the 2nd 5k splits:
mile 1 8:19
mile 2 8:31
mile 3 8:22
.12 1:00

It was nice to get out and run again. It seemed like forever since I ran. I'm not use to taking 3 days off in a row.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you have a great shot at getting a new PR. Good luck!

SuperDave said...

Rather warm in the mid 40's. LOL!
You "phillites" must get real cold in the winter.
With the way you have been running lately, I see you having no problem killing that 5K time.

joyRuN said...

How are you still speedy?? I'm slowing to a crawl over here!

I Run for Fun said...

You are still fast. Nice run!

Vava said...

Nice time indeed! The PR is definitely in danger of going down - I predict a 22-something time for you race. Good luck!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I'm green with envy, over here! I couldn't run a 5k that fast if my life depended on it - and here you just did a marathon.

Till now, I thought the "flyers" in your name referred to the hockey team ...

Chic Runner said...

Good luck, and running in the 40s. I would be frozen to the ground

BeachRunner said...

Great job homie.

Marci said...

Great job, you will likely kill your 5K time.

Unknown said...

Ditch the 5K, sign up for another marathon *snickering* !!!! Are you going to sign up for NJ Marathon ??? ;-) It's only 6 months away. Here's a new banner headline.... Flyers26 training for his second marathon.

FLYERS26 said...

Ya know Ted, I want to run another marathon, and I will in 2009.
I'm not sure about the NJ marathon, since it falls on a weekend that I usually go to the NASCAR race in Richmond with my buddies, and my brother.

X-Country2 said...

Nice work on improving your speed. That'll definitely pay off during your races in 2009

Darrell said...

It looks to me like your 5K PR will be falling here real soon.

Laurel said...

Holy crap! You ran a 5:04! I guess I was too busy smoking cigarettes behind the bleachers back then. Ha.

Good luck this weekend!

Michelle said...

Wow dude great 5K times!!

I am so impressed that you ran a marathon and are now kicking out the 5K's in amazing times!!!

YOU ROCK!