Saturday, December 13, 2008

Trail Running on a Saturday Morning

I got up bright and early and headed out to Mercer County Park, to meet Bill Y., and the group I ran with on Thanksgiving Morning, to do some trail running.
Funny thing, last nite we took the boys to see a Christmas Light Show at ShadyBrook Farms, in Newtown,Pa. After we drove through the light show, we went inside, where they had a walk thru display, and of course, Santa. We ran into one of the girl's my son goes to 1st grade with. The funny part is I ran with her father on Thanksgiving, and we talked and knew each other from somewhere, but didn't put it all together until we saw each other last nite, and realized it was from the kids. Small world...
Now back to the trail run.
It was a cold morning, with temps around 28deg. The course had some real muddy parts, with all the rain we got on Wednesday & Thursday. We even ran into a flooded part, around the 4th mile. It made it all the more interesting. I had wet toes for most of the run. You really have to be aware of everything around you, when you run the trails, it's real easy to roll an ankle.
It's fun, and cool to run with a group. I bet there where about 10 of us out on the trails. We ran for about an hour, and it's a slower pace than I am used to, but it's fun to do, and it looks like we'll be running these trails in MCP for the next few Saturday's. If you are in the area, the more the merrier. We meet at 6:45am at the park entrance off Robbinsville Edinburgh Rd.

55:46 5.27 miles
Mile / Time
1 10:06
2 10:40
3 11:08
4 11:40
5 10:06
.27 2:05

11 comments:

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like a cool crew to run with.

Progman2000 said...

Nice - I would be game for early morning trail running at MCP. I just drove through there about 2 weeks ago and was surprised at how much it has since I lived out there - are turtles out that early?

Sonia said...

Trail running is so different that road running. Glad you enjoyed yourself =)

At that pace you could talk all the time!

Marci said...

That sounds like a great run. It really helps when there in the cold when you have a group to get out there and run with. Have a great weekend.

Denise said...

That's why I don't run on trails...I'm too scared of getting hurt! But it sounds like a great run!

SuperDave said...

Finally a pace that I could hang with.. :)
Love trail running!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you're enjoying the trails runs. Considering I was an army of one every week last December it's been nice to have such large turnouts for these runs lately. As the cold really sets in a lot of those wet spots we saw today freeze over and make it easier to get around. Hope to see you out there with us all winter!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time. I love to run with a group. I just wish I had more of an opportunity to run on trails around here.

Darrell said...

That sounds like trail running at its laid back best.

Consider those little bumps in the trail as strength training for your ankles.

BeachRunner said...

Ahh trails. That sounds awesome.

RunToTheFinish said...

oh i need to go for a christmas lights drive.

how do you deal with wet feet it really throws me off.