Thursday, December 4, 2008

6.5 mile run after a day of Christmas Shopping

The wife and I took the day off from work and went out Christmas shopping for the boys.
We hit all the big box stores, and did some damage. We got some really cool stuff for them.
I guess we shopped from about 10:00am - 3:00pm. When we got home, and unloaded the van, I wanted to get a run in before the rain came. All the reports called for rain here, starting around 5:00pm.
I planned on a 6 mile out and back run from home to Mercer County Park. The weather was pretty nice, about 45deg, and cloudy. It had that feeling of rain coming. The wind was pretty calm, and that's always a plus!
I wasn't out to set and land speed records today. I wanted to get some miles in, so I would be ready for the 5K race on Saturday.
I ran nice comfortable miles, trying to keep a nice even pace.
I felt pretty good. It seems it takes me a mile or so, for the aches to get out of the legs. Guess that's a byproduct of just running a marathon. I do think I need to have my Doctor take a look at the right ankle. It doesn't feel right. I'm sure it's nothing, but it has been nagging at me for the better part of a month now. Once I got going, and got into a flow, I added on a little loop at the park, and that pushed my 6 mile run, to a little over 6-1/2. I pushed it a bit that last mile. I am trying to make that the norm, and run my fastest mile as my last.
Sure is nice to just get out and run for the hell of it!

6.55 miles 53:23 (8:08min/mile avg.)
Mile /Time
1 8:23
2 8:21
3 8:16
4 8:13
5 8:14
6 7:48
.55 4:05

17 comments:

Girl In Motion said...

You're a 5K machine! And so close to your marathon, I'd put a little bowing emoticon here if I had one.

Take care of the ankle and have a great race this weekend! Looking forward to your report.

Michelle said...

Nice run!!!

I agree take care of your ankle before it gets worse!!! OK???

Have a great weekend!

SuperDave said...

Good luck at that 5K Saturday. I see 22 in your future.

Unknown said...

You splits just keep getting faster and faster. I think you stand a great chance at hitting that PR.

Marci said...

Great pace for your run. Good for you getting some X-mas shopping done as well!

Progman2000 said...

Good luck on Saturday

joyRuN said...

Geez - that's a long day of shopping (coming from someone who HATES shopping). Then to follow it up with that fastness? Are you sure you didn't sit in the middle of the mall while your wife did the shopping?

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I'm with joyRuN. I'm more impressed with 5 straight hours of shopping, which earns you even more propz, in my book, than running the marathon did.

Because shopping gives me absolutely NO plextur (<--which is the word I had to type in to be able to comment here today. It has enriched my vocabulary most plexturably.)

BeachRunner said...

Shopping and running is a hardcore combo. Nice work!!

X-Country2 said...

Great run! Glad the weather stayed decent for you.

Unknown said...

Sorry buddy, I think I forgot to add your name to the end of my most recent post wishing races good luck this weekend. So good luck and sorry about the forgetfulness.

Vava said...

Nice running, and watch that ankle! You certainly want to avoid it going all "wonky" on you, and I speak from experience...

joyRuN said...

I checked out your Philly pics - they look great! Except for the finish line photos were you totally blocked by the dude in black who looked like he was about to cry (I know the feeling). ;P

Sonia said...

Shopping malls are totally crazy here! I just came back from a quick stop there and I really couldn't deal with that many people....

Great run! Good luck on the 5K this week-end. I do hope you get your ankle checked, nagging injuries can sideline someone for a long time (I'm talking by experience!!).

RunToTheFinish said...

can't wait until my comfortable run is 8min miles. I'm getting there, but slowly!

Unknown said...

Good for you!!! Hopefully the ankle will get better soon. Get that taken care of it.... Good luck tomorrow !!!

Laurel said...

Hope you kicked butt at the 5k today.