Saturday, December 6, 2008

Run for the Holiday 5k

Today was the Run for the Holiday 5k, in Burlington,NJ.

I met Shoreturtle & Bill Y, at the Dunkin Donuts, and carpooled to the run. It was a cold start to the day, in the 20's, and it felt it.

I was excited to do the run, with Bill & Charlie. They are both really good runners, and seem to bring the best out in me. The last time we ran a 5k together, back in July, I PR'd, and with how I felt recently, I expected to today.

Being a holiday run, there were a few recognizable faces in the crowd.
I think we all know who the gentleman in the red suit is. I should have asked him for a healthy 2009 running season. I felt bad when I passed him around the 1 mile mark. I hope he doesn't give me coal for Christmas! You can see the world famous Larry the Lighthouse. The man has been spotted in a few books recently. He was in Dean's 50 in 50, for the NJ Marathon run. I gotta give him credit. I don't know how he runs in that get up!
Well, since it is the Holiday season, we had to partake in the festive mood.
Here we are, Shorturtle, myself & Bill Y., just before the start. Yes, I own just about every kind of FLYERS hat!

The course had a few gradual hills, in the first 2 miles, but overall it was a nice quick course, mostly on the streets around Green Acres Park. We started on the right side, because I noticed that was were WPVI 6 ABC cameraman was set up.

The first mile was a quick one at 7:06. I felt pretty good, except for passing Santa. The 2nd mile had the larger of gradual hills, and I caught a few runners who went out too quick. I did the 2nd mile in 7:14. I was still feeling pretty good, and picked up the pace for the 3rd mile. I passed a few more runners, and ran mile 3 in 6:53! Yea, I can't believe I had a mile that started with a 6!
When I saw the finish line, I tried to kick that last little bit, as the clock slowly ticked, it was still reading in the 21 mins. I crossed the finish in a PR of 22.02. I was a bit disappointed to not break the 21 min mark, but considering I started the year running a 24:05, I am pleased that I dropped 2 minutes off my time.

Here I am crossing the finish line. (photo courtesy of Shoreturtle)

Charlie finished a strong 21:12, and set a PR. He also placed 6th overall, and 3rd in his age group.

Here he is getting his age group medal & ski cap.
Bill Y. finished in 22:25, 12th overall, and 4th in his age group.
I finished in 22:02, set a PR, 10th overall and 3rd in my age group. It was the first time I got a top 3 medal. Charlie & I also got a Run for the Holiday 5k ski cap.

And yes, there were more than 3 runners in my age group!

22:02 (7:05 min/mile avg.)


Mile 1 7:06

Mile 2 7:14

Mile 3 6:53

.12 .49


22 comments:

ShoreTurtle said...

Great race today. Congratulations on your AG award and your PR!

2 minutes off your 5K this year is impressive.

I definitely took the 1st mile too fast. Last year my first mile was too slow. Maybe I will get it right next year.

Nice photos too! Did we make action news?

SuperDave said...

I had a sneaky suspicion that you were going to get real close to the 21 min mark. It seems that your splits have been faster and faster lately. A credit to your perserverance! You were really hauling a** for that last mile. It was good to have 2 fast guys running with you to help push each other.
Awesome running!

Sonia said...

Wow! Shaving 2 mins in a 5K is really hard! Good job today =)

Beating Santa is pretty neat! Hopefully he does not hold grudges!

About the flyers, what do you really think about Eric Lindros? He was seen as a big cry baby here in Quebec!

billdowis said...

That was a great race today... Beatiful route too.

I still don't know how that guy can run in a lighthouse costume... funny thing, he may have got a better time than me.

Unknown said...

shaving 2 min. off your PR in one year is very impressive. I don't know if I can realistically take off more then a min for the rest of my career. Great race! Congrats on the AG award.

Marci said...

Shaving 2 min is a huge 5K PR! Great job, especially with the negative splits!

joyRuN said...

Great job on the PR & AG award :)

Love the Flyers hat!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Congratulations, brother! Santa can bring you coal if he wants, the vindictive so-and-so, but he can't take yesterday's PR away from you!

Man you're fast. And you're in my age group. And you're in my state. Looks like one of us has to go if I'm ever to win anything.

Don't worry, I'm already packing.

I passed Santa at my town's Turkey Trot last year and know what he did? He made me disappear from all the finish photos, of which there were roughly eleventy billion. I'm a pretty big guy, too. But, photographically, nowhere to be found that day. So I know how vindictive he can be.

I set a PR that day too. (It was my first ever race, though.)

But enough about me. How was your race?

Great job, man!

Progman2000 said...

Congrats on the PR and way to negative split that last mile - I have yet to do that in a 5k, one of the things I need to work on.

Larry the Lighthouse lives by me and runs by my house frequently (without the costume) so we have chatted before. Every once in a while he sports the costume for training runs too though.

BeachRunner said...

Doooo-uuuude, DUDE! Great report, excellent pics and an awesome PR to top it all off. Your 6:53 time in mile 3 is almost as unbelievable as your collection of Flyers hats. (cough, cough, lets-go-rangers, cough).

Girl In Motion said...

Fantastic job, Flyers! Can't believe how much time you've shaved off your PR in one year. Sub 22 will be yours next time, for sure, but in the meantime, revel in your top 3 hardware!

M*J*C said...

Wow, you had a great race!!! Congrats on the PR, great pictures too!!!

Vava said...

That is a fantastic time man! Never mind not breaking 22 minutes - you dropped a tonne off of your previous PR! And I agree, it must be pretty cool to see a "6" in the mile split category. Very nice running indeed.

Denise said...

Congrats!! Great job!

Marcy said...

CONGRATS!! Fantastic job!!

I'm curious to know how fast Larry The Lighthouse ran it HAHAA

Laurel said...

This is amazing. What an awesome PR! And an award to boot! Great job!

Too bad you aren't going to get any Christmas gifts now. Hope you know how to bake some cookies.

X-Country2 said...

Great race! It's fun that everyone gets into the holiday spirit.

Anonymous said...

Bill- Great PR! Congrats! i knew you can do it... That lighthouse was really a person?? hah!
What a great way to start the holiday season! santa will bring you extra flyer goodies this year!
Exellent job on the 6 split! WOW!
A

Unknown said...

Shame on you for passing the Santa Claus !!! You should have stayed behind him the whole time. Just kidding !!! Woooohooooo... you did it brah !! You smoked up the trail like a roadrunner going after Wile E. Coyote. Hat off to you for getting the job done and shaved off 2 minutes. Thats incredible, dude !

Chic Runner said...

Congrats on the great race and getting 2 minutes off your 5k! :) and the last mile at 6! :) Great job and love the pictures.

Darrell said...

What a great improvement.

Congrats on the PR and how cool to get an AG award as well.

You are the Flyer, for sure.

Michelle said...

Wow excellent race report and PR!!

Very impressive!!!