Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hamilton Hangover 5 miler 2009

Well, I was pre-registered, so what was I going to do, just pick up my shirt, and not run it?

I had my Dr. tried to scare the hell out of me, and it worked... to a degree.

I haven't run in almost 2 weeks, and was following his instructions to the "T", until today!
I ran the Hangover 5 miler.
It was a cold windy day, high around 25, with 15mph winds. It was nice and sunny, and would have been a perfect day, if not for the wind.

I met up with a few of the Trail run group. It was nice to be in a group, and talk running.
When the gun went off, I took off. Man I felt good! I had my new orthodics in my shoes, and I warmed up the ankle with my bio-freeze, and put the compression sock on. No pain!

I weaved in and out of other runners for the first 1/2 mile, before it settled down in to a mostly single file race. I hit the 1 mile mark at 7:34. My 1st thought was that was too fast. So what do I do? I did the 2nd mile in 7:24! Oh boy.. I am going to pay dearly for this fast start, or was I??

I was! Around the 1/2 way mark, I could feel it in the legs, not having run in almost 2 weeks.
I hit the 3rd mile at the 7:39 mark, and oh boy I did I feel the legs dying. My wind was even starting to struggle, which I haven't really had that problem. I was thinking back to the Marathon, and those last 2 miles, which were hell, thinking, I was about to revisit them.

The 4th & 5th miles had hills, which I wasn't looking forward to. The 4th, had along windy hill, which, when you got to the top of, you had to go downhill, heading out by the lake, and right back up a hill. Oh boy what a killer! I did mile 4 in 8:11. It was around the 4 mile mark, when you had to go back down and up the hill, that you just did about a 1/2 mile ago. I had my buddy Bill Y. pass me at this point. I was just holding on. When I got to the top, my legs & wind were gone.

I pushed and plowed along, and when I saw the finish line, I saw I that I had a chance to break the 39 min. mark. I just missed it, finishing in 39:02. The last mile was in 8:13.
While I was pleased to PR, knowing I had knocked off 2 mins from last year, I was left to wonder what I would have run, had I been healthy the last 2 weeks.
I was glad to have run it. I escaped it injury free, and I am going to get a 2nd opinion on my ankle.
Hope everyone has a great happy, healthy & prosperous 2009 !


Here are members of Trail Run group, that I run with.


39:02 (7:49 min/mile avg.)
Mile Time
1 7:34
2 7:24
3 7:39
4 8:11
5 8:13

11 comments:

Girl In Motion said...

Great job, Flyers! I was too chicken to sign up for a New Years race. You kicked it in fabulously though. Happy New Year and may the miles in 2009 add up easily, painlessly and with mucho fun.

Denise said...

Great job, although you're suppose to be taking it easy!!

Progman2000 said...

Way to throw the doctor's advice out the window!

I almost showed up there. I did my 6:00am run this morning, but I almost headed out there with my daughter to spectate and let her run the kids race. She didn't want to run because of the temperature though (can't blame her for that).

Solid race - I heartily recommend not using the Garmin next time (if you were looking at it). It is amazing how well you will do without that thing. Way to go!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You PR'd after not running for two weeks?

I think you may be part machine. Perhaps the doctor was wrong. Maybe you just needed an oil change.

BeachRunner said...

Wow. Eff the Dr. LOL. See what a little rest can do for you? Congrats on the awesome PR.

Unknown said...

Wait a second dude !!! Something wrong. Let's look at this seriously. You haven't run in two weeks. How in the hell could you run that fast if you haven't run for two weeks? I am fuming! You see, my friend, I haven't taken a two weeks off in almost 3 1/2 year of my running. The longest break I ever had was four days off (sinus infection/flu). In all of my 3 1/2 years of running, I'd typically takes two days off per week AND I STILL CANNOT RUN THAT FAST like you. I am now officially calling you FlyingLeopard26. (My average pace now stand between 8 and 9).

Get a 2nd opinion dude!

X-Country2 said...

That's one hell of a taper!

Darrell said...

Looks like a little rest did you good. Congrats on the PR and the pain free run.

Laurel said...

Great job on the PR!!!

I think if you keep taking it easy, icing, wearing the orthotics, etc, you will be fine. How long did the DR say you had to keep from running anyway?

But, don't listen to me. I was diagnosed with the same thing months ago and never took any time off. Of course, you run circles around me, lol!

Michelle said...

Nice pace and time for your 5 miler!!

Just great!!!

Chic Runner said...

great job on the race! :) Way to listen to your body and hope you have no pain in 09!