Monday, October 19, 2009

Asbury Park Relay Marathon recap

This past Sunday was the 1st AsburyParkRelayMarathon. You could run this race 2 ways, as a relay team, with up to 8 members, or as a team of one, which is how I ran it.

It was also an 8 lap marathon, the 1st lap was 2.75 miles, and the remaining 7 were 3.35miles.
The weather called for highs around 40, 20mph+ winds and rain, in other words, a Nor'easter!

When I arrived in AP, it was raining, not that hard, and I met up with Progman2000 & his wife at the host hotel. I also met up with a hardcore NJ shorerunner, Steve, who has a website dedicated to all of the races held at the Jersey shore, http://www.njshorerun.com/.
Going into this marathon, I had a 22-23 mile run in my plan, and when you see a marathon that falls perfect into your plans, AND only costs $30.00, I ask you, how can you pass it up?

I had no goal for time, and wanted to run the 1st 20 miles at a easy pace, and kick it up to my marathon goal pace for the final 10k. I told Progman that I was going to tether myself to him, so I won't pull my rabbit BS, and take off.

When the race started, the rain was down to a misty drizzle, but the winds where kicking! It was a U shaped course, with the finish / transition area actually inside the Asbury Park Convention Center. That was really cool. The winds on the boardwalk were brutal, but when you entered the convention center, the crowd was loud and it really pumped you up. Way cool!

We really lucked out with the rain, and by the 2nd lap, the rain had ended, and we just had the wind to deal with.

I stuck to my plan, and around mile 18, I started to pick up my pace, and work my way to my Philly marathon goal pace of 8:30's. When I hit mile 20, I said to myself "FU Last 6, you won't break me!". I repeated that to myself a few times over the last 2 laps, and did exactly what I planned. Everything went according to plan, easy 18-20, and MP last 6.2. When the garmin clicked off mile 26, and I looked at the time, I was really excited! 8:09... fastest mile of the day, was Mile 26 ! The garmin had me at 4:12:46, 26:59 miles.

I am a sore, but not near as bad as I was after Philly last year. I will try and run 2-4 on Tuesday, and 6 on Thursday.


Progman & I before the marathon.
Progman & I after the marathon, with our bling. Doesn't even look like we just ran for 4+ hours!



Here I am passing the WonderBar, during the later part of the race.

FYI.. Here are the mile spilts.

  1. 9:57
  2. 9:59
  3. 9:49
  4. 9:39
  5. 9:16
  6. 9:33
  7. 9:25
  8. 11:40 (bathroom break)
  9. 9:45
  10. 9:44
  11. 9:50
  12. 9:44
  13. 10:30
  14. 10:02
  15. 9:35
  16. 10:27
  17. 10:04
  18. 9:46
  19. 9:17
  20. 9:35
  21. 8:35
  22. 8:19
  23. 8:22
  24. 8:30
  25. 8:23
  26. 8:09 .59 4:48

Overall this averaged out to 9:30 miles.

Here's hoping my goal of a 3:40 Philly marathon is reachable!

9 comments:

joyRuN said...

Nicely done!! Definitely cannot pass it up as a training run, & you pulled it off perfectly :)

On to PHILLY!

Denise said...

GREAT job!! You're going to kill Philly!!

NJShoreRun said...

Bill- Great to finally meet you on Sunday! You really nailed that goal for your "training" marathon. It's going to pay high dividends for Philly. I was so impressed by your stamina at the end of the race that I'm planning my last training run for the AC Marathon in that fashion- 24 miles this weekend, the first 18 easy, then ratchet down the final 6.

Progman2000 said...

That was a good time man. I was dreading it when I woke up but we really ended up lucking out with the rain. Well worth the $30!

KimsRunning said...

Really nice race!!! And for $30??? Never heard of that!! Your pacing was perfecto...nice and steady the whole time with a GREAT pick up at the end. LOVE IT!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Great job! I definitely think you're going to do great at Philly!

Unknown said...

You really kick ass the last 6 miles. You are funny especially how you went blue streaking the last 6 miles. I guess that helps. You are going to tear up the ass-phalt in Philly !!!

sRod said...

That is some nice work, especially those last couple of miles!

I'm on the same goal for NYC, let's hope we both reach it!

Darrell said...

Way cool!