Monday, August 3, 2009

1 week down, 17 to go !

I would like to 1st thank Mother Nature, for taking most of the summer off, giving us here in NJ, a longer spring! It figures that as soon as it's time for me to ramp up my running, good ole' MN brings back the heat & humidity.
I got out and ran a wet 6 miles on Wednesday, and 7 on Thursday. Before I went on my wet run on Wednesday, I hit up the local RoadRunner sports store, for a new pair of running shoes. My Black Kayano's have about had it. I have heard nothing but good things about Road Runner, and their foot analysis that they do, so I wanted to make sure what I was wearing was the best shoe for me. The gal that helped me, was awesome, and after trying on a few different pairs, I settled on more of the same, another pair of the Asics Gel Kayano 15's. With my VIP membership, and an additional 10%, I got them for $116.00, they were reg. $139.00, so I got a great deal on them.
I chose to hold off running in them, until Thursday, no sense making the 1st run, a run in the rain!
I also purchased a new insole for them and they felt good. I can tell it will take a few weeks to get them broken in.
Saturday, I got out with the TrailRuns group. There were about 8 of us, and it was nice to have Shoreturtle back. He hadn't run with the group in 8 weeks. He was coming off a Achilles injury. While I only had 4 miles on the schedule, it was a long run of 7 miles with the group.
Sunday, I got out bright an early, at 5:45am. and got my 12 miler in before the rains came. And boy did they. I just missed a massive downpour by about 10 mins! I felt pretty good on the 12 miler, and averaged around 9 min miles. I started out slow, and built up as I went along. The legs were a bit heavy at the start, probably from the long trail run on Saturday.
Week 1 is in the books, with only 17 more to come!

6 comments:

I Run for Fun said...

You missed the downpour I got caught in. Great week of running!

I love it when I get a deal on running shoes. Hope you love them.

Vava said...

Nice score on the new shoes. Mine came in last week (having to special order my non-standard size) and I can't wait to pick them up. They're not the Kayano's, but the model below: GT2140s. Stick to what's been working, and it seems like they've been really good to you.

Also, continued success on your marathon training!

Denise said...

I love the count down!!

We really did get a change in weather out of no where. I guess i can't complain since the summer has been so mild.

Darrell said...

There's no way I could break in new shoes in the rain, at least not intentionally. Good call.

Keep on rocking the training.

Ted said...

Hey dude.. You really got a pretty good deal on the new killer kicks you've got. I did check it over at www.holabirdsports.com and they were about 116 buckaroos as well. It wouldn't have made any differences.

I am psyched about you going into Philly marathon this year.

sRod said...

So true about the weather! As soon as I started trainign Ma Nature turned on the heaters!